RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CANCER PREVENTION (From the WCRF/AICR Second Expert Report)
- Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods.
- Eat mostly foods of plant origin – 5 servings of non-starchy vegetable and fruits every day; whole grains and legumes/beans every day.
- Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, pork, lamb). Avoid processed meats.
- If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
- Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
- Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone, so that supplementation is not necessary.
- BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS: It is best to breastfeed exclusively up to 6 months.
- CANCER SURVIVORS: After treatment, follow the recommendations for cancer prevention.
And remember – DO NOT SMOKE OR CHEW TOBACCO! EVER!!